This post will likely get longer as details are ironed out. Especially as videos are uploaded to Youtube!
And while I was writing this, one video was uploaded! This one demonstrating some of the upcoming beta features, uploaded by RemiustheAwesome
A video of the entire briefing uploaded by pipochan55.
Official upload of the new trailer included in the briefing:
Official upload of a video demonstrating closed beta features:
Phantasy Star Online 2 will be following a similar payment plan to the JP version of Phantasy Star Universe. PSO2 will be free to play. The game will also be supported by a cash shop, whose currency is the elusive Arks Cash. The client will also be completely free to download.
It’s also possible that there may be a subscription based premium model as well, as there seemed to be mentions of limitations on F2P users, but details are thin at the moment.. Update: They’re less thin, now! There will be no subscription model included. It’s only free-to-play with cash-shop.
So yes, you will never have to spend a single penny to play PSO2 if you don’t want to.
Incidentally the client is free to download on all platforms that PSO2 is coming out on, including a surprise one mentioned below!
Closed Beta Announcements
Some new details about the closed beta were announced.Among these:
- Player cap will be lv30
- The tests are scheduled to take place late April. No specific dates were given.
- Unlike the alpha tests, there aren’t any planned maintenance periods. This means that you can play the game for 24 hours in a day if you wanted to.
- Those who didn’t participate in previous alphas and thus who are not automatically qualified will get an opportunity to sign up soon.
PSO2 – Not Really PC Exclusive Anymore
We already knew about the PSVita version of Phantasy Star Online 2, I bet you didn’t expect there to be a smartphone release of the game as well, did you? You did? Well look at you! Don’t look so smug.
So yeah, PSO2 will also be being released on Android and iOS smartphones. All three platforms will use the same data as each other, meaning you can play as your character on all of them. This does not mean they can all play with each other, however. The below chart explains the interactions between the platforms a bit.
This chart shows that servers are shared between the PSVita and PC versions, meaning that players of these platforms will be able to play with each other (or at least that is the intention). All three versions will have access to the same play data.
Various bits of info picked up from videos, from skimming the community or from live translations in the feed. Some of this may be fact, some of it may be rumour, who knows!
- There is a counter that was shown where you could set your “Team Flag”.
This is the first mention of teams (PSO’s version of guilds) outside of datamining
- Some new techs observed were Rabarta and Grants..
- A standalone character creator demo will be released on the 5th of April
- A benchmarking tool will be released.
- An EXP Boost special effect attached to a weapon.
- Three new story characters revealed: Echo, Afin and Zeno.
- You seem to be able to invite the npcs to your party. PSU-style, perhaps.
- A playable dartboard in your room that keeps score!
- Players will have to use a medical counter to heal up, no more auto-healing when you return to lobby
- “Weapons Holograms” – A room decoration item you can use to show off your loot. Taunt others will all the rares you can’t equip! Players who raise their characters to level 10 in the closed beta will recieve one for free.
There are more details to come, but for now I will leave you with this.
[Sources: EspioKaos, Famitsu]